Thursday, February 5, 2015

YOU'D THINK

In grey-skied, dimly-lit Western Washington,
You'd think people would wear bright coats
To help drivers see and avoid pedestrians,

As rain pours from skies, you'd think drivers
Would slow down to avoid sliding and skidding,
To be cautious, to put safety before schedule.

But pedestrians, including me, wear dark clothing;
But drivers, including me, are always in a hurry;
Walkers and drivers focus on individual goals.

Deferring individual wants to collective needs
Requires a level of discernment and maturity
That is rarely achieved and seldom plied.

At least for me, I will wear brighter colors;
At least for me, I will slow down, be more alert; 
At least for me, I will finally smell those roses.

Ann Beth Blake
(c) February 5, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment