Tuesday, January 20, 2015

HAPPY 94th BIRTHDAY, DAD!

Many of us have "the best dad ever!"
My siblings and I had our best-dad-ever
Only until his forty-seventh year.

A man of many talents and, like most of us,
Many flaws, Dad loved us and guided us;
Could still recite poetry assigned in high school;

Fished and hunted with conviction, even
Taking me deer hunting once, with an unloaded
Rifle, offering black coffee, which I still hate.

Dad only saw his eldest graduate from high school,
Didn't see any of us leave home for college or 
See our homes, didn't meet his two grandchildren.

Yet I see our dad in his siblings, my siblings,
And our cousins; many remember Uncle Eddie.
His grandson, Ryan, has Dad's quick,dry wit.

Dad died of a congenital heart defect, which, today,
Would probably have been surgically mended.
Marvels of medical progress came too late.

Instead, we greet you today, where you are, Dad,
In our hearts, in our memories, in Ryan's humor.
Happy 94th Birthday, Dad, from your grateful kids.

Ann Beth Blake
(c) January 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment