Saturday, December 7, 2013

HAND ON BREAST, NEXT TO HEART

As I sit with my hand warming my left breast,
Spontaneous memory: Grandma's same gesture.

My reason, warming nipple against pain of cold.
Grandma's purpose? Comfort, protection, habit?

Feel humbled by poignant closeness, sad connection.
I am not alone in this process--Grandma led the way.

Wish neither had had this experience, and, if we had to,
Which apparently we did, her company consoles me.

Breast cancer, and other forms, flit though the generations 
of my family; too many children, women, and men afflicted.

Winter Holidays prompt reflection and end-of-year
Pondering, surfacing both memories and intentions.

Goodbye, God Be with Thee, and Fond Farewell to 2013;
Anticipatory hopeful energy for new experiences in 2014.

Connecting cards sent to and fro with love and joy:
Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Every Living Being.

Ann Beth Blake
(c) December 7, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment