Monday, August 26, 2013

Walking, Yes, Walking in Wales!!!

Even before I write a poem, I must celebrate by telling all of you that I was able to walk the first day of a five-day walk on the Pembroke Coastal Path in Wales today. Thanks to all of you who pampered me these past 5 weeks. Thanks especially to all my svenska släckningar who housed, fed, and greatly entertained me while I recuperated. We did it!!! I was able to walk the first day for 7 miles/12 km on this glorious path along the western Wales coastline on the Irish Sea. We had sunshine for the first couple of hours, after which waves of fog all but obliterated the actual waves below us. We saw beautiful wild flowers and two seals bobbing in the seas below the cliffs. I now sit here in the fabulous B & B Cefn-Y-Dre (google it!) after a delightful dinner snack in Fishguard, now resting my heel on a block of ice. Yup, my heel was sore, and I was limping the last mile, but I felt better this morning (before walking!) than I have in many weeks. We'll see how I am in the morning, but at least I got this gorgeous day. 
Thanks again, specifically to Karin: you introduced me to The Pilgrimage; our 8 days on The Camino taught me so much. I used my sticks today for great support. I do not miss any of the hiking equipment that I left with Klara. I saved just enough things for this walk even though I didn't think I would be able to walk in Wales. AND, as we hiked up and down 3 or 4 fairly steep hills, I was able to say (mostly for my own benefit), "This is nothing compared to the Pyrenees!!!"
I am all smiles, and foot on ice! Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment