Thursday, August 1, 2013

Soulful Reading

Different Sun
Last night I finished reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. Wilkerson presented the saga of the 100-year migration of African Americans from the US South to the US North. Wilkerson contextualized  this powerful and tragic narrative from a historical perspective as well as poignantly embedded in the lifetimes of three actual people who migrated north. Wilkerson's compelling chronicle wrenches my heart, soul, and conscience. Similar to all invisiblized, marginalized, and oppressed groups at risk of genocide (e.g., Native Americans, women, differences in sexual orientation, people of color, differences in creed and dogma, and all immigrants), whose narratives have been misconstrued, misrepresented, and buried, this marvelous book must be written and read in order to correct crucial information. My conscience has been pricked, and my level of awareness is forever altered. A MUSTread. 
Thanks to Ann in the East/West Book Club for her recommendation. Although I did not finish the book in time for our scheduled discussion (unfortunately too common in my life), I always appreciate the high quality of books we read.
My next read: The Earth Has a Soul: C. G. Jung on Nature, Technology, and Modern Life, edited by Meredith Sabini, Ph.D.
My Camino calls for soulful reading, not the wonderful fluff of beach books. Lisa E. gave me some swell recommendations which I am eager to explore.
Gosh, I look forward to retirement. Three more years of working half-time (two quarters full-time, two quarters off campus--a marvelous schedule!) during which I will continue to walk my Camino by living this fantastic opportunity of exploring and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment