Friday, August 23, 2013

HEARING VOICES

No, don't worry, I am not going mad,
Nor going away mad,
Nor going to sleep mad.

During disharmonious chords 
In an organ recital, 
I heard agitated voices,
Insistent conversations, 
But no discernible words.

Did music prompt synaptic
Musings in my memory?
Did ongoing inner chatter 
Echo the music?

Nothing outside the music.

At sleep time several days later,
More animated voices, 
Occasional laughter, and
Roaring crowd noises of approval. 

Several times I got out of bed to check 
Whether something was happening 
On the street in front of the hotel.
Was I hearing an event from Tivoli?
Was the roar just a car passing by?

Nothing outside the hotel! 

Both events were merely noises which 
My mind interpreted as other humans' 
Communicating in various ways.

Nothing to worry about.

Ann Beth Blake
(c) August 22, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment