Monday, August 19, 2013

DON'T OVERFUNCTION

Describing many reasons I could not perform an act,
Immediately followed by heroic vow to accomplish, 
Elizabeth calmly cautioned, "Don't overfunction."

No exclamation point, no raised inflection.
Not motherly, not instructive, not preaching.
A simple suggestion that hit deeply true for me.

Anxious about the future and about my value,
I often leap to action, doing, giving, proving.
Be seen as caring, contributing; earning my way.

Note to self: Just relax, just be, just tell the truth;
Don't apologize about things I don't/can't do.
Stay quieter, be present, focus on strengths.

Breathe, breathe, breathe; write, write, write.

E. Clark-Stern. Personal communication. August 19, 2013.

Ann Beth Blake 
(c) August 19, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment